Monday, July 20, 2015

Watermelon Salsa! yum!!!



 Years ago I developed a severe allergic reaction to tomatoes. Tomatoes also being in the nightshade family eliminated more foods, like potato, bell peppers, jalapeño, etc. Now due to the reaction that happens, I really don't miss these foods, and if I had to say it I would be on a partial Paleo diet due to it. I say partial because I love my breads 😍. 
My allergies have lead me on a pursuit to find foods within my safe zone, but can taste along the lines or even better than the tomato counter part. So hence Watermelon Salsa was born!!

This taste salsa has gone to several pot lucks, made special appearances at my work and leaves everyone amazed! Usually I don't tell them it's watermelon, they just usually freak out when they see me eat it or they dig into it, eating chips and stating wow this is great salsa!!! Then I get to step in and exclaim it's WATERMELON SALSA!!!!!

Now how to make it, this took me sometime to research and figure out different ways to make salsa, then eliminate what I can't eat due to the allergies. 

You of course start out with watermelon. Dice up enough to to fill a bowl. 
Next I get my garlic cloves, onion and cucumber ready ( yes I said cucumber) 


I use my garlic press mince the garlic, I peel the cucumbers, now this time of year little cucumbers from the garden are great! 2 small ones did the trick. Now dice up some onion. I used about half medium onion fort recipe. Once everything is diced up, add it to the watermelon. 


Now for the good stuff, I use about 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Add it right on the watermelon mixture! Stir it in. 


 
Then last, but not least I chop up the cilantro and add it in. 


Stir it all together and enjoy!!! You can eat now or put on the fridge for an hour or so to let the juices all mingle together. 


Now note due to the fact this is watermelon, it will get soupy after a day or so, just drain off extra liquid if needed. If your home is anything like mine, this won't last long!

Here is the recipe again

Dice enough watermelon to fill a bowl
Add 2 cloves minced garlic 
2 small cucumbers diced
Half a medium onion diced
Diced cilantro
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss everything together and enjoy!!!

I usually just eat it with chips, but have also taken a baguette, sliced and toasted. Topped off with the salsa and feta cheese. Your options are endless!!

I would love to hear your feedback on how you enjoyed this salsa!

Michele








 

 

No comments: